Do you venture out of bounds, off the trails or into thebackcountry? Avalanche Skills Training (AST 1) is your place to start.
Keilir Adventure Studies Program offers a three day course in Avalanche Skills Training where you’ll learn how to recognize avalanche terrain and how to self rescue.
What you will learn in AST 1
- Avalanche formation and release
- Identify avalanche terrain
- The basics of trip planning
- Optimal use of tools and resources like the avalanche forecasts to mitigate your avalanche risk
- Use appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain
- Intro to companion rescue